5 Step DIY Beauty Therapy Treatment
I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to a weekend of relaxing at home. I’ll be giving my skin some R&R after many late nights, long car rides and flights over the past few weeks. Below is the beauty routine I tend to follow at home. If you want to become less of a DIY-er and more of an at-home-expert, I recommend you consider beauty therapy courses.
1. Always start with a clean slate. Wash your face with a gentle facial cleanser, not soap. I begin with a dry face. In a circular motion I rub the cleanser until it becomes a bit dry (about one minute). Then, I get my fingertips wet and continue rubbing in a circular motion for another minute. Next I rinse with warm water, using a wash cloth to make sure all the cleanser residue wipes off.
2. Facial steaming is great for skin, but it’s so boring. Buck up, and do the stem though, you’ll feel the difference! Add green tea, mint or rosemary to a pot of water on the stovetop. Once boiling, decrease the heat and bend over the pot for five minutes. Put a towel over your head to trap more heat int. Steaming is a great way to open pores and remove embedded dirt. It also hydrates skin. Added bonus, facial steaming is great for treating the common cold and bronchitis!
3. The best time to do a mask is after steaming. I usually go for a DIY calming mask, though there are tons of great options out there, how stuff works has a great article on 5 cheap, yet effective DIY masks. Ingredients needs for my calming mask:
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 cucumber
Mix everything in the blender, then leave on your face for 15 minutes.
4. Next, tone your face. Toners are great for removing excess oil, makeup and excess reside. I use this after the mask to make sure the mask has been completely removed. Pick the right toner for your skin-type.
5. Finally, finish the facial off with moisturizer. No matter what skin type you have, you need moisturizer to help improve your skin texture. Choose a moisturizer that is right for your skin type.