New Styles in Fashion
Everyone loves being in ‘the know’ on all things fashion, right? Read Style Bust’s fashion posts to find out what we see happening in the fashion industry from multiple viewpoints. We have ten guest bloggers dedicated to bringing our readers that latest fashion news from different parts of the globe!
Neiman Marcus + Target = The Fashion Capsule of 2012 Is Here!
With support from the nonprofit organization Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), Target and Neiman Marcus paired up for an epic Holiday Collection. Now a year in the making, the collection will finally debut nationwide this December 1st!
The sale features top American designers like Diane von Furstenberg, Marc Jacobs, Jason Wu, Altuzurra, and Tracy Reese. With as many as 24 designers and over 50 limited edition pieces from housewares and accessories to apparel, the selection showcases spectacular American fashion and style. Shop Target or Neiman Marcus stores or either online store Target.com or NeimanMarcus.com for great items between $7.99 to $499!
Two days ahead of the nationwide launch, New Yorkers had the pleasure of attending the Neiman Marcus and Target Collaboration Pop Up Shop on 5th Avenue for first dibs. Additionally, the retailers hosted a VIP Party for designers and celebrities. Check out what the stars and early birds snapped up. On Target’s site browse the full selection of gifts or read more about the collaboration on Neiman Marcus’s blog and pick out your faves before Saturday! Favorite items from Thursday’s shopping included: Thom Browne Men’s Blazer (women’s blazer pictured) ($149.99), Prabal Gurung Black Cape ($79.99) and Proenza Schouler sweater ($29.99.) Below is my selection of pieces I’ll be looking out for!
Both retailers made a joint donation to the CFDA of $1 million to celebrate the holidays, their collaboration, and great American designers. Go fashion!
Elegant Winter Fashion For Tall Women
While you regularly deal with sleeves and pant legs that are too short, the rest of the world looks on your model-like stature with awe. So, why not make the most of your envy-inducing height and wear the lovely winter pieces that the more average sized ladies can’t pull off? The following is a list of winter wardrobe “must haves” that in reality, only the tall do justice.
- Tall Boots: Every woman wishes she could wear tall boots, whether stilettos or equestrian-style. The reality, however, is that the short legs most women are stuck with throws the proportions off. If you want to make a statement, wear what no other woman can, because the fact of the matter is that tall women rock tall boots like no one’s business. Pull a short-heeled boot on over skinny jeans and you’ve instantly got a smart, casual look. Put on high heeled boots, black tights and a wool miniskirt and you can go from the workplace to the club with the confidence that you look pulled together and subtly sexy. And as an added bonus, tall women in boots instantly turn many men into quivering pools of gelatin.
- Long and Sophisticated Dresses: Another great look is the long, below-the-knee, body-conforming dress. While every girl loves the look, once again, only the tall woman can pull it off. To up the sophistication factor of this look, add a low-slung chain belt around your hips. For a more professional look, add a cardigan. Its less structured nature makes it easier to get the proportions right rather than pairing with a jacket.
- Sultry Separates: Another thing tall ladies can carry off is separates. You probably don’t even realize that separates make the rest of the female population look dumpy. So put on any close-fitting shirt, tuck it into a pair of high-waisted pants, layer with long, chain necklaces and confidently strut your stuff. Since you are going to be the only one in the office who can pull it off, prepare yourself for the envious glances.
- A-Line Trench Coat: The bottom line is that if it’s classic, you can wear it, and one of the absolute, tried and true classics is the trench. Once again, unlike most women, you have the height to carry it off because whether belted or swinging, they all look great on you. Make a statement with the color of the season, royal blue, or pick up one in a large, black and white check. While we’ve seen it for a few seasons now, we still can’t get enough of it.
- The Accessories: Make the masses green by throwing on a chunky scarf and the too-cute Boy George hat of the season. Whereas any other girl would look buried, you’ll simply look like the ultimate, fashion-forward goddess you are. To bring it all together, pull your hair back into a low ponytail, darken your brows and treat yourself to a pure red lipstick. By sticking to basic, classic pieces, you can be confident that not only do you look your best, you probably look better than everyone else as well.
Nisha represents a site called http://www.bigcatwalk.com. She enjoys writing about fashion and beauty.
*photo sources: Super Star Magazine, Fab Sugar, and Footcandy Shoes.
Fall 2012 street style looks we love
There are so many things to love about Fall/Winter fashion – warm colors, cozy layers, and boots of all sizes! For me, Fall has always been the most fashionable season – it’s a season where new trends and styles make their mark. But if you’re anything like me, trying out some of those “new” trends can be a little tricky and even intimidating. Which is why I look to the fashionable ladies pictured on some of my favorite street style blogs for a little every day inspiration.
*photos via Fabsugar, Lookbook, Street Peeper
Best Deals of Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2012
It’s my favorite time of year…discount shopping season! I literally have eleven shopping carts open right now just waiting for Friday to come along so that I can apply the promo code and hit “place order”! Of course I need to begin thinking about buying gifts for my friends and family too, but I have a couple of days to think about it.
Here are stores I’ll at least browse over the extended shopping weekend:
- Alice and Olivia – 20% off sitewide
- Ann Taylor – 40% off full-price items and an extra 25% off sale items with code THANKS
- Bag Borrow or Steal – 25% off with code SNOWFLAKE20
- eBags – 30% off and free shipping on orders over $99
- Earnest Sewn – 25% off all denim
- French Connection – 30% off all items with code LUVYOU
- Converse – 25% off all items
- Gap – Entire store up to 60% off
- Jcrew – 25% off and free shipping on orders over $150 with code COLOR25
- Joe’s Jeans – 25% off all items
- Lacoste – 25% off all items
- Land’s End – 30% off and free shipping with code THANKFUL & pin 2025
- Last Call – 40% off and free shipping
- Levi’s – 30% off and free shipping with code HOLIDAY
- Loft – 40% off with code ENJOY
- Madewell – 30% off sale items and free shipping on orders over $100 with code LOVEIT
- Nautica – 40% off and free shipping with code THANKS12
- Neiman Marcus – Up to 65% off full-price items and free shipping with code NMFALL
- Nike – Extra 25% off clearance and free shipping with code BLUERIBBON
- Otte – 40% off all sale items with code EXTRA40
- Piperlime – 20% off all items
- PLNDR – 20% off order over $75 with code PLNOV
- Theory – 30% off all items with code THANKS2012
- United Nude – 30% off with code PROMO30
Meet the History Channel’s Community Curators for Must See Classic Films
The History Channel Store carries a vast collection of classic to contemporary movies. How do you navigate the plethora of choices? Let the Community Curators guide you.
Film buffs and writers, they have whittled down the essential films you must see and/or share with family and friends.
With holidays already here, and gift giving season in full swing, the curators have compiled some excellent recommendations for you. With expertise in individual genres from monsters and dysfunctional families to documentaries and kids films, these curators, including yours truly, have narrowed down their top picks.
So let go of shopping decision-making anxiety and trust the curators selection. These top shelf movies, with a genre for every personality, will get you through the winter’s chill into 2013!
Holiday 2012: The wish list
With the Holiday’s just around the corner, I figured that I should get a head start on my Holiday shopping. While trying to decide what to get my family and friends this year, I got a little side-tracked and created a wish list of my own.
I make several wish lists throughout the year, I use my lists as a reference for when I’m out shopping – that way I have a clear idea of what I need/want.
This Holiday season my list includes: an affordable H&M sweater, a sturdy backpack, custom made scents, a KitchenAid mixer, cozy footwear for those chilly evenings, and dainty jewelry.
With a lot of Holiday shopping to do, you can bet that I’ll visit some of my favorite online stores (for one-stop shopping), like; Amazon, Sephora and Etsy to find a little something for everyone.
What’s on your Holiday wish list this season?
Holiday 2012: what to wear
The Holiday’s are right around the corner – which means a lot of planning and preparing. Whether you’re traveling for the Holiday’s, planning a party or attending a get-together, there is always a lot on our plate this time of year. Since I can’t help coordinate your schedule, I sure can help you find something to wear to those upcoming Holiday festivities.
The look: current trends mixed with classic and sophisticated silhouettes. Sexy, but still very office appropriate.
The look: ladylike pieces in bold hues creates a girlie and playful look, but still very on-trend.
The look: metallics mixed with bold prints. Perfect for creating a fun and festive Holiday look.
The look: urban pieces in simple silhouettes. Creates a modern look (without trying too hard).
Pump up the volume
With all of the Fall ’12 trends that I’ve talked about thus far, there is one that I’ve completely overlooked – the voluminous/oversized trend. To be completely honest, I wasn’t a fan at first. But after taking a closer look, I can appreciate the tailored, menswear inspired looks – which remind me of the 80’s, but with an edgy and modern look. Designers such as Stella McCartney, Celine, and Balenciaga are just a few designers that have supersized their Fall 2012 collections.
Balenciaga, Acne, Proenza Schouler, Stella McCartney
Transforming runway trends into everyday wear can be a little challenging, but take a peek at how some of these fashion forward ladies are rocking this Fall’s voluminous trend – it just might inspire you to go out and buy a slouchy pair of trousers or an oversized coat.
The voluminous trend can be especially tricky – if the proportions aren’t right, you will end up looking frumpy. Opt for an oversized coat and pair with ultra skinny denim or a pencil skirt for a minimal take on the trend. Another great option for easing your way into this trend would be a pair of slouchy trousers paired with your favorite v-neck and a killer heel. Keep your overall look clean and simple – you’ll find how comfortable and easy it is to pull off one of Fall’s hottest trends!