Selective Lifestyle Trends
To anyone studying or working in home decor, learning about trends in interior decorating is one of the most exciting parts of life. And it should be, aside from work, the home is where we spend the bulk of our time, and like clothing it needs to be a reflection of us. Style Bust searches the web for the latest and greatest trends for the home; our hope is that you can use some of our findings in the environment you’ve created at home!
For those on your shopping list who enjoy the journey of life and not just the destination, give them the gift of discovery and adventure! From the curious chef and mixologist to the star gazers and nature enthusiasts, the Discovery Store offers some amazing finds for the young at heart.
- LED Kitchen Garden – For the farm to table chef extraordinaire, give the gift of year-round fresh herbs, small fruits or vegetables with the LED Kitchen Garden! Green thumb or not, this garden extends the growing season in warm and cold climates. And for the practically minded, this environmentally conscious growing genie can run for about 12 years when operated for 20 hours a day, and grow up to 72 plants at one time, using barely any energy. Go green!
- Moonshine comes out of the still as clear as water, but the practice of moonshining is neither clear cut nor legal in some states! Nevertheless, fans of the show can appreciate the Moonshiners Mason Jar Shaker for its signature vintage kitchen appeal. Any DIYers on your list, whether they make their own pickles and jam to crafts and masterpieces, would love this unique piece in their home.
- Gift the ocean lover on your list the Celestron Oceana Binoculars to make every moment spent on the water a memorable one! While waterproof and specially designed for marine use, it’s also useful for various land based observations with optimal brightness even in low light conditions, like dusk and dawn. Celebrate their love of exploration and appreciation for nature.
- Whether they enjoy watching the show or truly getting their hands dirty, fans will love Dirty Jobs’ LED hat, which makes any task at hand that much more enjoyable with the proper amount of light. Give Dirty Jobs’ fans this handy hat and tool in one and with the press of a button, they’re ready to go without fuss or muss!
- The 4-disc Life series on DVD is the must have for everyone on your list! From the same makers of the fan favorite Planet Earth series, Life examines the amazing survival of plants and animals using super high tech cameras to capture footage in habitats on all of the planet’s continents. Narrated by global media leader and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey, this epic television series Life shows us the spectacular, bizarre, and fantastic journey of all living things.
- For a touch of whimsy and practical utility, this Onyx Globe makes an attractive and clever addition to any space be it the office, library, or living room. Make sure to gift the globe trotter on your list this beautiful piece and be prepared to brush up on country boundaries, capitals, major cities and bodies of water!
- Every card shark needs a set of Shark Week Shark Playing Cards! What would a game of poker be without this deck? It is perfect for game night any time of the year and of course awesome for Shark Week! Your shark lover will love that these cards feature a different image on every card. Go on and take a big chomp out of your holiday shopping!
- Eliminate the possibility of a dull desktop with this MythBusters Jamie + Adam Bobblehead Set! For the Mythbuster fans on your list, gift these bobbleheads that will brighten any space and lift spirits with the press of a button. These guys says things like, “I’m not sure what it’s gonna do, but it looks cool,” “Big boom, big boom, big boom!” and, “Danger is my middle name!” Entertained Mythbuster fan confirmed.
- The perfect gift for the person on your shopping list who stops to look up at the stars is the Orion SpaceProbe 3 Altaz Reflector Telescope! A great user-friendly beginner telescope, this reflector features great optical and mechanical quality and minimal set up and maintenance, so they can enjoy the beautiful night sky.
- Treat your chess and checkers gamer or enthusiast to the Discovery Kingmaster Chess Set! Perfect for travel and play between two players or single player vs. the computer, this gadget also saves games so players can pick up where they left off and practice their game strategy!
- Give the gift of a retro classic with this Purple Orange Designer Lava Lamp! Whether the lava lamp is a throwback for your 60s fanatic or making its modern debut to contemporary fans, it is a crowd pleaser! Updated with a new base, the classic formations of lava oozing and spreading add a relaxing and groovy glow to any space.
Fighter. Survivor. MMA fan? Whether you follow the fighters in the Octagon or just train like one, check out some TapouT and UFC apparel and gear perfect for the whole family this holiday!
2. Embossed with the TapouT logo and some serious studs, this TapouT Dark Eagle Belt takes no guff, making it the perfect accessory for a night out!
3. This Strappy Racerback Tank features highly functional support for training sessions and delivers style. What more could a girl want?
4. This menacing snow-man on this TapouT Frosty Tshirt may unintentionally deter the carolers from singing too long but it’s ok, you got the fighting holiday spirit.
5. Train like you mean it. This TapouT Combat Fleece Pant is durable and comfortable for an intense work out or just kicking back.
6. Ladies may like honey in their tea, but don’t appreciate being called honey on the mat! That said, this vintage UFC Women’s Kickback Crew Sweatshirt in honey is supremely soft and sweet.
7. For an easy and fun cardio workout this UFC Weighted Jump Rope keeps it simple. Ergonomic handles create a comfortable and secure grip. Hop to it.
8. The TapouT Snow Camo Armory Bag is the bag of all bags. Fit to hold all your gear and then some, and attractive, you’ll want to take to the gym or use it for travel on the road. Just try not to lose it in the snow!
9. Boys want to be big and strong like their MMA idols! This TapouT Lightning 2 in 1 shirt keeps the cold out, making it the perfect outfit for winter playtime.
10. TapouT Workout Gloves protect your digits and ensure fingers are securely tucked with leather loop straps. You might even find yourself wearing them on your next grocery run in these cold wintery days!
11. The TapouT Tri Fecta Hoodie makes a wonderful gift for the fighter in these colder months. The comfortable poly blend and colorblocking style make this one a winner.
12. Who said the playpen is all roses? Well in addition to sugar and spice, every girl has the potential to be fierce! Dress little ones in these TapouT Triple Threat Onesies to add the kickbutt factor to little girls’ inherent cuteness.
13. Stretch out. Warm up. Hook a right and a left. You can do this all in the comfort of your home with this UFC folding accordion mat. Light weight and constructed with a simple hook and loop fastener, handling and storage is a breeze.
I am not sure if San Francisco is too sincere with its variation of night life options or if Vancouver is a bit shy of them, or maybe its just my custom to being able to find something to do at any hour and anytime of the day in this city. Vancouver however, seems to get a bit sleepy after the sun sets, or so at least that may be something only us San Franciscans may experience while there. Even then however, we managed to ask enough locals about “the thing to do” that night in Vancouver and most people did not hesitate to say “Kill Joy.” So we hopped in a cab and headed to the trendy district of Yaletown to find this place and I immediately felt at home. When entering the top floor of Kill Joy one walks into a dark chamber of local wine on taps, being greeted by a deconstructed piano artfully covering the walls. The rest of the walls are of concrete and brick giving it a rustic and unforgiving look. The bar walls are covered with fetishist prints being lit by arcane neon-accentuated installations. Behind the bar lies a refrigerated installation of hanging artisan meats constantly reminding you of the “killing” phenomenon that had to take place before “enjoying” your meats and cheeses, both local and carefully chosen to pair with the wine selection. Looking at the main entry way you would never believe what lies beneath this floor. The down stairs room is made of Plexiglas installations over the many grafittied concrete walls being lit by black lights and tables which I found to be so modern they felt uninviting, yet I couldn’t help but want to sit and enjoy the experience. Downstairs one can also enjoy the DJ and the great selection of gin-forward cocktail list. Can you imagine this place? So paradoxical in nature, so intriguing, so uninviting, so hidden, a place I look at and call “Soooo San Francisco.” A place with the perfect balance of elements that will keep us coming back.
- Gift the Perfect Tortilla Pan Set so your favorite chef can make every dinner a fiesta.
- For your friends and family who love to deep fry, they never have to batter like an amateur when they can Batter Like a Pro.
- Flex Seal is the homemaker’s problem solver! Cracks and holes don’t stand a chance.
- Forever Comfy lets you transform any seat in your home or vehicle to a comfortable one.
- Furniture Fix provides instant support for renewed firmness in older seats.
- Instahang helps the decorator achieve instant gratification. Say so long to barren walls!
- Give the gift of peace of mind with Riddex PLUS.
- EZ Covers takes tired old seat cushions and makes them like new again.
- Magic Mesh helps keep fresh air in and bugs out for a happy home.
- Make the decorator’s day with the Instahang Extra Refill kit. (See 6.)
- Gift your homemaker extra storage with the Wonder Hanger, which transforms a door into a closet.
- Insulation is a home’s best friend. Give the gift of added warmth and keep the cold out with Twin Draft Guard!
If it weren’t for DVR, you would probably never see your friends or family who can’t get enough of NBC’s Thursday night comedy lineup. Whether it’s 30 Rock, The Office, Parks and Rec, or Community (in the mean time you can catch up on Season 3, and gear up for the glorious return in February. #delayedgratification), they’re hooked and are always trying to get you to tune in for the antics and brouhaha! If you’re hooked, too, then you know what it’s all about! This holiday, give them the toys, mugs, apparel, and or DVDs from their favorite shows. NBC’s Official Store has already taken out the guesswork and assembled a handy holiday gift guide for you, so go on! You might just find something for yourself, too!
1. 2013 The Office Day-to-Day Calendar They’ll never miss an appointment with this handy Office calendar. One of the funniest shows on TV, The Office continues to tear us all up. Share the hilarious moments and more featured in The Office’s 2013 Day-to-Day Calendar and you’ll be sure to land on Santa’s nice list.
2. The Office Dwight Schrute Bobblehead & Worlds Best Boss Mug Set Give them the gift of daily office entertainment to keep the doldrums at bay. What desk is complete without a big Dunder Mifflin mug that proclaims “World’s Best Boss”? Additionally, this set comes with the all-time best seller bobblehead of Dwight Schrute, Dundler Mifflin’s eccentric paper salesman, also known as the most dedicated (maybe too much?) employee and for that reason a favorite office prank target. Exclusive to the NBC Universal Store, these collectible items are a must!
3. The Office Ornament Set Give the gift of cheer and decorating fun with these collectible holiday ornaments from The Office. The set includes Schrute Buck Ornament celebrating America’s favorite funny money; Schrute Farms Beets Ornament: one of many Dwight’s pet projects –beet farming; Dunder MifflinThe Office Sign Ornament – paying homage to America’s favorite workplace.
4. 30 Rock TGS Zip hoodie Who’s the real funny writer for TGS? The lucky recipient of this 30 Rock TGS Zip Hoodie with the logo of TGS Staff on the lapel! If nothing else, your 30 Rock fan will thank you for this comfy cozy hoodie that distinguishes him/her as a devoted fan.
5. 30 Rock Season 5 Give the gift of laughter! Liz Lemon, Jack Donaghy,Tracy Jordan, and Jenna Maroney, will keep the laughs coming with the rest of the misfit crew who strive to create the “magic of television.” This season features video obituaries, cross-dressing love, page showdowns, Canadian births and other strange events in 22 blerg-worthy episodes.
6. Community Holiday Figurines – Set 1, Community Holiday Figurines come at a discounted price when you buy all three. Duncan, Teddy and Britta home make a great gift set for any mantle or desk decor!
7. Community Messenger Bag Treat the academic with a sense of humor on your list to this stylish Community messenger bag. Hip and smart looking, this bag will make any student the envy of all other students and Community fans. Go Human Beings!
8. Community 8 Bit T Shirt Community fans will love this 8 Bit T-Shirt featuring the Greendale Seven in video game form. Give them the gift of journeying to the Center of Hawthorne!
9. Parks and Recreation Li’l Sebastian Plush Everyone loves a plush stuffed animal at the holidays! For your Parks and Rec fanatic, give the as seen on Episode 9, of Season 4, Li’l Sebastian. Not to worry – he doesn’t have diabetes like the Real Thing!
10. Parks and Recreation Ron F***ing Swanson BBQ Sauce and Apron Ron Swanson chokes us up with his deadpan quips and zingers. It’s no wonder that the Parks and Rec personality who says things like “You had me at meat tornado” now has his own Ron F***ing Swanson BBQ Sauce and apron! Treat your meat loving Parks and Rec/Ron Swanson/BBQing friends to this savory zippy BBQ Sauce!
Every once and a while I go through phases where I’m addicted to looking at home decor magazines and home decor websites – hoping to find some inspiration to spruce up my home.
For many years, I’ve had a thing for dimly lit spaces, oversized furniture, and darker hues. But lately I’ve been drawn to muted walls with vibrant pops of color, mismatched furniture mixed with Scandinavian minimalism – making my current apartment not that appealing to me.
While I have some great end tables, lamps and vintage artwork – my apartment is definitely lacking a sense of overall style. But I’m hoping with just a few updated pieces, I can create a cozy oasis just in time for the cooler months (when most of my time is spent at home).
Instead of buying a whole new set of furniture – try rearranging your space, paint a wall or a door, opt for new curtains or add some interesting pops of color. Stop by a local flea market for some great accent pieces – you’ll be sure to find mirrors, frames, end tables and kitschy items (for that much needed touch of personality). Also, be sure to visit websites like, Pinterest and Decor8 for some inspiration and easy DIY projects.
Just be sure you know the overall look you’re going for and with just a few easy fixes – voilà – you’re home will feel fresh and new!
Heading out of The Keg Steakhouse and Bar (see my previous post) with a sweet tooth on our first night in Vancouver and with the delightful and rare 80 degree weather, we looked for a place with outside seating to enjoy some dessert and wine. We decided to trust our own instincts on this one, and after walking around for about twenty minutes we found a true gem. CinCin Ristorate and Bar is easy to miss. From the street level it has one tiny door with a beautifully lit menu. At the door we where immediately greeted by a set of stairs much like the ones who welcome us into our San Francisco homes. We reached the top and found an elegant lit patio overlooking the streets of busy shoppers. The dessert we picked was absolutely phenomenal, a perfect savory combination being that even as a foodie, my sweet tooth has quick limits.
Pistachio Semifreddo: Lemon curd on Chilled pistachio with a custard citrus topped with vanilla sauce and Sable, paired with two glassed of Mission Hill Reserve, BC Chardonnay.
If you liked this article please checkout my review of The Cactus Club Cafe in Vancouver!
image sources: kevineats.com, cincinristorante.foodpages.ca
When in any great place near a coast with nearby farmlands I seek for a slab of great meat and some seafood. The problem is that Vancouver, just like our city, has a plethora of dining choices. So what did I do? Walking down the streets of down town Vancouver with my cousin (thinking I am crazy for so intrusively inquiring people about where I could find a mouthwatering steak) we walked down the street agreeing that the first restaurant to be named three times was the one we would go to for dinner. This is how we ended up at The Keg Steakhouse and Bar. Naturally, we decided to go for the best surf and turf dish they offered. The
atmosphere was everything a steakhouse should be. Dim and elegant, with a very friendly and sophisticated staff, not to mention the manager made sure everything was going well every step
of the way. Here where my favorite dishes.
Spinach Salad-A great start to my meal with a full-bodied glass of red BC wine, of course. This salad is a delicate combination of organic baby spinach with fresh strawberries, dried cranberries. Balancing the sweetness is a hint of red onion and Bleu cheese.
Prime Rib and Lobster– This is everything I could have ever asked for in a Surf and Turf dish. The Prime Rib was slowly roasted to perfection and the Lobster Tail literally melted in my mouth.
I ended this meal so stuffed and sleepy, I asked the bar tender for a shot of espresso. The next thing that occurred was both unexpected and hilarious. The kind bar tender handed me a shot of Da Vinci’s espresso infused vodka. Thinking that he had done this on purpose in belief that on vacation I should wake up not with espresso, but to a shot of vodka, I looked at my cousin shrugged my shoulders and drank it, it was after all very good. Surprisingly enough, this was not the only time during my stay that I was handed vodka instead of espresso. I found it so intriguing and hilarious that I decided to never ask the locals what that was all about. The espresso infused vodka vs. a shot of espresso Canadian confusion will always be a mystery to me.
If you liked this article please checkout my review of The Cactus Club Cafe in Vancouver!