Posts tagged Halloween
Get Drop Dead Gorgeous
On HBO’s True Blood, things may be a bit weird down in Bon Temps and seem to be getting weirder. With everything at stake, the ladies still manage to look gorgeous. This Halloween, whether you choose to be Sookie or Pam, human or vampire, keep the costume simple and the makeup on point for that drop dead gorgeous appeal.
If you want to be everyone’s favorite Bon Temps’ girl from Merlotte’s, Sookie, don her t-shirt and apron, and you’ll have your wardrobe set.
Or play the fangtalicious heartbreaker Pam. Sport a busty top or her not so vampy Cat and Flower Sweatshirt and play up her sensual nature.
For Sookie, stick to neutrals, pinks and warm tones. For Pam, go for dark, vampier shades. The secret is to amp up that unmistakable gorgeous factor depending on your character.
Made in collaboration with beauty standards like Tarte and Deborah Lippmann, try the Forsaken Inspired by True Blood Beauty line for the Halloween party and any other day you just want to feel fabulous and irresistible.
- Dust your complexion for a silken glow
- Moisturize for the fang-talizing touch
- Spritz on a sensuous smoldering scent
- Don’t forget the perfect lacquered nail. For Sookie’s innocent look, go for subtle. For Pam, vamp it up with drop dead gorgeous shades
- And don’t forget about making those lips irresistible. For either human or vamp, all ladies can appreciate this night out nail/lip duo.
All dolled up, you’re ready to get out there, break some hearts with your fang-talizing beauty that keeps them wanting more.
Have a Fangtas-tic House Party
Get inspired by HBO’s series True Blood and bring the dynamic characters to life by hosting a Fangtas-tic Halloween house party. In the town of Bon Temps, vampires come back from the dead to live among humans. Is the synthetic blood that makes it possible too good to be true? Find out at your shindig – there are sure to be some thrills and chills.
So how will you pull off a macabre party? With a few tweaks, your home can easily be converted to the Fangtasia Bar, where vampires and humans mingle. Life at Bon Temps begins at night, so the key is setting a sinister ambiance. Block out the light with black drapes. Opt for candles and True Blood string lights, which come with red bulbs. Cover tabletops and chairs with red textiles like velvet. Put on the original score, prepare garlic free foods (lest you offend all the vampires) and quench their thirst with enough True Blood beverage warmed to 98.6 degrees. Don’t forget to make it last from dusk till dawn. Finally, invite friends over donned in killer costumes, of course.
Party Planning Checklist:
Invitations: Make your own or use these HBO invites and set the tone
Tunes: Soundtrack and Original Score
Visual Stimulation: Play Season 1 on mute in the background
Refreshments: Serve up True Blood Bloody Mary drinks from the True Blood cookbook and use True Blood approved drinkware
Food: From Bon Temps Bloody Marys to Up in Arms Biscuits and Gravy, make some fang watering bites sure to please.
Scent: Fill up the house with the aroma of Forsaken True Blood Candle and Diffuser
For more helpful party tips, catch up on the latest shows and don’t let your guests go home thirsty.
Beware of Dog
He’s no Snoopy, Charlie Brown. In FX’s hit series Wilfred, Ryan (Elijah Wood) thinks he sees a bong-ripping, beer-chugging potty mouthed Australian guy in a dog suit but everyone else sees a cute, furry dog.
Get into the Wilfred character and costume and you just might be the hit of the party this Halloween (or at least avoid the doghouse).
In the officially licensed Wilfred Dog costume, you’ll be certified to mentor depressives in your darkly comic and totally unsavory canine ways. If you want to complete the Wilfred look, opt for FX’s Deluxe Wilfred Costume Kit. It comes with a toy cigarette and black nose paint. You too can pretend to be Ryan’s best (and worst?) friend. But remember: beware of dog – hijinks will ensue!
Parks and Recreation Halloween Fun Committee Wants You!
This Halloween, dress as the Parks and Recreation Department. The citizenry of Pawnee are in for a real treat.
If you’d like to be the first female President of the USA, then take on the persona of Leslie Knope and inspire all your coworkers to dress as the Parks and Recreation cast. From Leslie to Ron Swanson, everyone can get into the spirit. Meet at the pumpkin patch, local park improvement site, or your very own non bureaucratic office.
As Leslie, take charge of the committee and be perky about it. Remember Leslie is the eternal optimist. Be prepared for lots of public speaking with a smile, even when people are screaming at you. They are just caring loudly at you. For the costume: wear a suit or something casual for the park. Leslie’s bid for City Council wrapped up in Season 4, but you can still sport Knope 2012 campaign merchandise including, shirts, campaign buttons, and pens. Be sure to watch your favorite clips and have some of her memorable lines on hand.
- (On Pawnee) We’re overrun with raccoons and obese toddlers.
- My official statement is that is, overall, a bummer.
- Nothing gets me more amped than Sarah Machlachlan.
- I was in favor of closing the Borders bookstore, not the border to Mexico.
- There are very few things I have asked for in this world. To build a new park from scratch, to eventually become president and to one day solve a murder on a train.
Alternatively, dress as fan favorite Ron Swanson. As Director of Parks and Rec, Ron lets Leslie do all the work. He sports a mustache and staunch Libertarian values. While collecting a government paycheck, Ron believes in as little government as possible and feels the parks department should not even run or maintain parks. He advocates for program cuts wherever possible, and actively works to make city hall less effective, and he especially detests interacting with Pawnee taxpayers. Ron has a deadpan, inexpressive personality and loves meat, hunting and breakfast foods.
Great Ron Swanson lines:
- (On Fishing) It’s like Yoga, except I still get to kill something.
- It’s never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer’s teet until they have sore, chapped nipples. I’m gonna need a different metaphor to give this nine year old.
- The less I know about other people’s affairs, the happier I am. I’m not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.
- You had me at meat tornado
What the What Will You Be This Halloween?
Fans may be bummed about “The Beginning of the End” for NBC’s 30 Rock, but look at the bright side – the season premiere airs this week just in time for Halloween costume inspiration and party banter.
With so many nerdtastic options, which 30 Rock character do you identify with?
How about 30 Rock’s star nerd? Liz Lemon is a self-proclaimed geek and socially awkward turtle, overscheduled, undersexed, single-pretending-to-be-happy-about-it gal. She is a great writer but generally dismisses others (see note about lack of social skills), eats a lot of junk food, and is allergic to dogs and cats, which she thinks is psychosomatic. Are you with me? To dress as Liz, wear dark rimmed glasses, no frills pants and plain jane shirts or cardigans. Most importantly, prepare plenty of nerdy sardonic socially awkward witticisms.
Show them how it’s done this Halloween with some of Liz Lemon’s most memorable/nerd lines:
- If reality TV has taught us anything, it’s that you can’t keep people with no shame down.
- Did you really think I wouldn’t recognize my college futon, with its trademark absence of sex stains? I like my tampons to be cold! I’ll be downstairs.
- Everyone I ever dated in high school was either gay or a girl dressed as a guy to get a journalism scholarship.
- Who hasn’t made mistakes? I once french-kissed a dog at a party to try to impress what turned out to be a very tall 12-year-old.
- What the what?
- Shut it down.
- I want to go to there.
- By the hammer of Thor!
If you’d rather be a cad on Halloween, impersonate Jack Donaghy. As head honcho at Kabletown, you’ll need to keep it coming with backhanded compliments especially if you’ll be partnering with a Liz Lemon for the evening. Jack idolizes Ronald Regan and always favors big business over the little guy. For your Jack Donaghy costume, dress to impress: a suit by day and a tuxedo after six. After all, he’s no farmer.
Synergize your costume with some of Jack Donaghy’s best musings:
- You know how the media are. They wait for a mistake and that’s all you are. It happened to Hitler. No one ever talks about his paintings.
- Fifty is the new forty for men. Fifty is still sixty for women.
- Jack Donaghy: You have to fire ten percent of your staff.
- Liz Lemon: What?
- Jack Donaghy: We have to synergize backward overflow.
- Money can’t buy happiness. It is happiness.
- Rich 50 is middle class 38.
- Lemon:I’m feeling pretty drunk.
- Jack: Well, it’s business drunk, it’s like rich drunk. Either way, it’s legal to drive.
- New York gives us a tax break for employing sex offenders. It’s a terrible program.
- C’mon Lemon, what do we elites do when we screw up? We pretend it never happened and give ourselves a giant bonus.
- Lemon:Why are you wearing a tux?
- Jack: It’s after 6. What am I, a farmer?
Or if you like to keep things unpredictable, go as Tracy Jordan for Halloween. Tracy is known to be an off the wall, self-centered prima donna full of conspiracy theories but generally well meaning. You could wear underpants and scream, “I am a Jedi.” Or for the more modest, go with a red jumpsuit and be ready with the lyrics to Jordan’s novelty party song, “Werewolf Bar Mitzvah.” Lyrics include: ”Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky scary. Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves.”
If you’re going as Tracy Jordan, be ready to party with his gold record winning signature quips:
- Let’s do it again from the top. I want to get it perfect, because “perfection” is my middle name: Unclaimed Perfection Baby Boy.
- I have no reason to hug her except for my love of having boobs pressed against me.
- This better be meetment. I’m importing.
- I’m hosting the International Pornography Awards, and I have to go get an insurance physical so I can fly into the arena in a penis-shaped parachute.
- You remember Donald, my son who’s two years older than me.
- Sabotage? But I’m the one who does that to me!
- I don’t get why people like brunch. What’s the benefit of combining breakdancing and lunch?
Whoever you choose – from the geeks, to the cads, or prima donnas – any 30 Rock character is sure to be a Halloween crowd pleaser, especially if you can finesse those zingers! This season is 30 Rock’s last, so don’t miss out on your final chance to be part of the TGS team and go to there!
A Gleeky Halloween
This Halloween dress as the Warblers, Cheerleaders, Football players, or a whole troupe of Glee characters. From high school to house parties to neighborhood trick or treating, you’ll be sure to raise your popularity status when you Gleek Out!
Taking a page from the McKinley High School yearbook, pick a costume for every personality.
Remember to put the Glee into it! Harmonize your costumes. Imbibe the different personalities and carry a tune if the mood strikes you. Mom, Dad, teens, and even babies can get into the spirit.
If you’re hosting a shindig you can always put on the Glee tunes or the Rocky Horror Glee Show for added Hallow’s Eve thrills and just lip sync the words – you’ll be glee-d you did!
Dress Like Your Favorite Serial Killer For Halloween
You’re a lovely person all the time. Ok most of the time. For Halloween, take a walk on the dark side and dress as the sinister angel with an insatiable thirst to kill – Dexter, everyone’s favorite serial killer.
Dexter by day is a blood spatter pattern analyst for the Miami Dade Police Department and by night a serial killer. He thinks he can quell human emotion, but has started to care for the few relationships in his life.
To develop Dexter the character, you’ll need to fight the Dark Passenger and make every effort to follow The Code. Does the need for human connection matter to you? Can you keep this dark secret? Allow for some signs of human emotion, and play up his psychological struggles. Oh the complexities of a double life!
The easy part is the costume. Start with a thermal Henley, and layer with a lab coat or apron and you’ll be able to put together Dexter’s full ensemble. Add a Dexter syringe, plastic knife, and a black trash bag as accessories to incorporate his tell-tale tools and have fun!
Men’s Dexter Kill Thermal | Analyst Lab Coat | Blood Splatter iPhone Case | Syringe Pen | Black Leather Gloves | Military Combat Boots | Cargo Pants
Dress Like Sheldon Cooper
It’s never too early to think about Halloween! Celebrate the enthusiastic obsessions that define geekiness this Halloween. Pull off the girl version of Sheldon Cooper, America’s favorite super-geek character from CBS’s Big Bang Theory. Sheldon’s look is geeky, clever, and cute enough to show you have a great eye for style, and are willing to push boundaries on makes a great outfit!
Interpreting the character of Sheldon will help you create the perfect costume. Here are some things you should keep in mind while compiling the costume:
- He’s a Caltech theoretical physicist
- He’s into science, math, and history
- He lives with his colleague and best friend, Leonard Hofstadter
- He loves routines, and playing by the rules
- He’s socially awkward
- He’s vocal about his beyond-genius intelligence level
- He’s also idiosyncratic and germaphobic
Here are some of Sheldon’s classic looks.
While Sheldon doesn’t care about fashion, he loves graphic t-shirts and plaid. He layers a lot! Luckily pattern mixing is trendy, so if you dress like Sheldon you will be on trend! Here is my recommendation on pieces that would work together to create to ultimate Sheldon look. Feel free to use the images above as inspiration for your own Sheldon costume!
Captain America stud earring | POW Pendant Necklace | Rittenhouse cardigan | Batman Tee | Plaid Shorts | Long sleeve v-neck | Blue tights | Hudson shoes